Online Lessons - instructions for TEACHERS, parents and students
Calhoun County Area School Band, Orchestra, and Choir Directors:
Your students are eligible for FREE online music lessons with professional-level orchestra musicians from the Battle Creek Symphony and the Community Music School There is a grant available for two half-hour lessons per student for a limited number of spaces.
As you may already know, The Music Center and the Battle Creek Symphony planned on visiting many of your classrooms this spring to share the gift of music. Since we can’t do this now, we have found another great way to connect. Through the generous support of area donors, we can offer your students a very special opportunity to work one-on-one with a symphony player or Community Music School teacher.
Please share this information below with your students and their guardians:
How to sign up:
Step I: Complete the registration form
- Guardians, be sure to complete the registration form below. Classes will not be scheduled until the registration form is completed.
Step I: Schedule the session
- Guardians, please email Justin Jeon, Operations Manager of the Battle Creek Symphony, at Operations@YourMusicCenter.org.
- In the email, please provide the name of your child, age, instrument, and skill level (beginner/intermediate/advanced).
- Justin will then provide the contact information for a select musician.
- You may then contact the musician directly and schedule the session.
Step III: Tech stuff
- Download the free Zoom app. DO NOT create an account. All you need is the app.
- When the lesson is scheduled, you will receive an email with an invitation for the zoom meeting from the teacher. Click on the link in the email. This will take you to the meeting.
- Select “YES,” you would like to join with audio and/or video.
- If you are having microphone problems, try clicking the microphone icon in the bottom left of the screen to turn on/off your microphone. Do the same with your video.
- FYI, once the student has entered the room the meeting will be locked. No one else will be able to enter.
Step IV: Read the fine print
- Lessons are available on a first come - first served basis.
- Lessons are limited to school age children from Calhoun County area schools.
- All of the Zoom lesson content is password protected.
- All musicians have passed screening requirements for safety and professionalism.
- The Music Center staff will monitor lessons.
- All sessions are recorded. These recordings will not be shared externally and will only be used for archival, security, and training purposes unless written permission is granted by student’s guardian.
- By signing up for these free online lessons, the student’s guardian is agreeing to keep the environment for the sessions positive and appropriate and to hold harmless The Music Center and the Battle Creek Symphony should an issue occur with the use of the technology or with at any time during the teaching session.
- Questions, concerns, or thoughts? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and enjoy your lessons!