Free Online Lessons
please note: the free online program has ended. however, we are still offering online lessons and have partial funding available through financial aid and bcreative.
Dear Parents and Students,
We hope that all of you are safe and well during these challenging times. We know that many of you are missing your music classes and we would like to offer you some help to keep your skills up.
To help you during this shutdown, we are offering free online lessons with professional-level orchestra musicians from the Battle Creek Symphony and the Community Music School Each student is eligible for four half-hour lessons.. Lessons are first come, first served, and will be made available until the grant funds are depleted.
How to sign up:
Step I: Complete the registration form
- Guardians, be sure to complete the permission form below. Classes will not be scheduled until the permission form is completed. Once your permission form is complete, Justin Jeon or Brianna Baylis from The Music Center will contact you for next steps.
Step II: Tech stuff
- Download the free Zoom app. DO NOT create an account. All you need is the app.
- When the lesson is scheduled, you will receive an email with an invitation for the zoom meeting from the teacher. Click on the link in the email. This will take you to the meeting.
- Select “YES,” you would like to join with audio and/or video.
- If you are having microphone problems, try clicking the microphone icon in the bottom left of the screen to turn on/off your microphone. Do the same with your video.
- FYI, once the student has entered the room the meeting will be locked. No one else will be able to enter.
Step III: Read the fine print
- Lessons are available on a first come - first served basis.
- Lessons are limited to school age children from Calhoun County area schools.
- Students should have already started on their instruments
- Lessons are subject to the availabilty of teachers
- All of the Zoom lesson content is password protected.
- All musicians have passed screening requirements for safety and professionalism.
- The Music Center staff may monitor lessons.
- All sessions are recorded. These recordings will not be shared externally and will only be used for archival, security, and training purposes unless written permission is granted by student’s guardian.
- By signing up for these free online lessons, the student’s guardian is agreeing to keep the environment for the sessions positive and appropriate and to hold harmless The Music Center and the Community Music School. Should an issue occur with the use of the technology or with at any time during the teaching session.
- Questions, concerns, or thoughts? Please contact email@example.com.
Enjoy your lessons and we'll see you soon!
Music Center Artistic Director
CMS Artistic Director